Hip Disorders in Childhood
Product Type: Print Edition (Complete Book)
Series: Clinics in Developmental Medicine
Publication date: January 2003
Page count: 80
Buy now from Mac Keith Press
There are many childhood disorders which affect the hip and its development, many of which can have lifelong sequelae.
This book brings together the authoritative opinions of a number of experienced clinicians about these disorders, discussing their aetiology, presentation, diagnosis, treatment and the range of outcomes.
There are chapters on the anatomy and embryology; physical examination; role of the hip in gait and gait analysis; and hip orthoses.
It is written for all those who manage the health of children, primarily for paediatricians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, nurses and orthotists. Although the majority of authors are orthopaedic surgeons, it is not a book on surgery but on what every clinician should know about the developing hip joint.
Clinics in Developmental Medicine No. 160
- 1. Anatomy of the hip joint J. V. Banta;
- 2. Physical examination of the child's hip B. E. Bowman;
- 3. Radiology C. Foley;
- 4. Developmental Dysplasia of the hip P. A. DeLuca;
- 5. The painful hip joint J. D. Thompson;
- 6. Slipped capital femoral epiphysis K. A. Pierz;
- 7. Perthes J. M. H. Paterson;
- 8. Epiphyseal dysplasias J. Trivedi;
- 9. Trauma K. A. Pierz;
- 10. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis J. McDonagh;
- 11. Gait analysis in documenting and understanding hip function S. Ounpuu;
- 12. Cerebral palsy J. M. H. Paterson;
- 13. Myelomeningocele J. V. Banta;
- 14. Muscle weakness disorders B. G. Smith;
- 15. Orthotic management of hip pathologies C. Morris;
- 16. Unusual disorders D. Nagarkatti;
'The book is very relevant to physiotherapists working in the varied field of paediatrics and provides a useful resource and collates information that previously may have only been found in several different texts.' Psychotherapy Journal
'This thorough monograph is current, relevant, and well written. It will be a welcome addition to the practitioner's library that is frequently used.' Fredric Warren, MD, Ochsner Clinic Foundation
'This multi-authored text well describes the numerous childhood disorders affecting the hip, several of which have lifelong sequelae impacting patients into adulthood. It provides the authoritative experience of a number of pediatric orthopaedic surgeons and covers the gamut of pediatric hip disorders, describing their etiology, presentation, diagnosis, treatment, and the range of outcomes.' John P Dormans, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery