Principles of Child Neurology in Infancy Course (free 48 hour trial access)
Free trial access
You will gain access to Topic 4: Promoting child development and Topic 11: Genetic Testing for 48 hours from the time of order.
Mac Keith Press and the European Paediatric Neurology Society (EPNS) present an interactive online learning course that provides authoritative advice on managing neurological disorders presenting in infancy. Completion will enable you to better support families, assess young children and work in an interdisciplinary way with other professionals and caregivers to assess, diagnose and manage neurological and neurodevelopmental problems in the first two years of life.
Our companion course Clinical Practice of Child Neurology in Infancy applies the principles explored in the Principles of Child Neurology in Infancy Course across new topics, divided in a way that is largely based on clinical scenarios. Taken together these provide coverage of the entire scope of neurological problems in the first two years of life.
EPNS member discount
Watch Colin Kennedy and Coriene Catsman-Berrevoets discuss the course
About the full course
Principles of Child Neurology in Infancy sets out in a succinct format the description of basic definitions used in classification of paediatric neurologic diseases, principles of working with families, of clinical assessment, of screening, vaccination, use of investigations and treatments, and of evidence-based medicine. Topics, written by experts in the field, set out:
- Description of basic definitions used in the classification of paediatric neurological diseases
- Principles of working with families
- Assessment of normal and abnormal development from a neurological perspective
- Overview of the investigations relevant for diagnosis in children with suspected neurological disease and their treatment options
- Application of evidence basic medicine to paediatric neurology
- Includes topics covering the most recent developments in the field including genetic testing and neuroimaging pattern recognition
The course is accessed online and hosted on a Moodle learning platform. Topics can be worked through at a rate comfortable to you as there is no start or end date for completion. Access is open to you for 12 months and renewal of access is possible.
- Complements clinical training and improves knowledge and clinical practice
- Interactive learning is aided by reflective activities and multiple-choice questions on each topic with helpful hints
- Summaries of each topic highlight key messages, common errors and when to worry
- Each topic is supported by reference papers for further reading
- The useful resources section provides free access to 6 six classic paediatric neurology text books and videos
- Certificate is provided on completion
- Estimated time to complete: 11.5 hours
Who will find this course useful?
This course will be very useful for paediatric neurologists in training or medical professionals who would like to acquire a neurological perspective on the application in the first two years of life of clinical assessment, investigation, support of care-givers, promotion of normal development, and prevention and clinical management of neurological or neurodevelopmental problems. This course is also suitable for paediatric neurologists, paediatricians and neonatologists in senior positions, child psychiatrists in training, developmental specialists, rehabilitation specialists, paediatric neurosurgeons, physiotherapists, and specialist nurse practitioners.