Principles and Practice of Child Neurology in Infancy, 2nd Edition (ebook)
Product Type: PDF (Complete Book)
Series: A Practical Guide from Mac Keith Press
Publication date: November 2020
Page count: 552
Buy now from Mac Keith Press
£65.00 (inc 20% VAT)
You can download chapters or sections from this book
Purchase this as an ebook
Click on the link below to access your preferred format.
A Practical Guide from Mac Keith Press
Management of neurological disorders presenting in infancy poses many challenges for clinicians. Using a symptom-based approach, and covering a wide range of scenarios, the latest edition of this comprehensive practical guide provides authoritative advice from distinguished experts. It now includes revised coverage of disease prevention, clinical assessment, and promotion of neurodevelopment.
- Well-structured chapters begin with key messages, common errors, and when to worry, for ease of use at the point of care.
- Facilitates interdisciplinary and holistic care while avoiding over-investigation and over-treatment, using an evidence-based approach, to promote quality of life.
- Features practical road maps for most clinical scenarios.
- Covers the rapidly developing fields of cranial imaging and genetic testing.
- Extra coverage of tropical diseases such as Zika virus infection, malaria, and immune-mediated encephalitis.
- Additional links to videos and other online resources.
This book will be useful for paediatric neurologists, paediatricians and other health professionals involved in the care of children with neurological problems. The emphasis on clinical assessment and inclusion of some tropical diseases renders the book relevant to all regions of the world including those where resources for health care are limited.
From the Foreword
“The book provides the reader with important tools to improve both technical and ethical aspects of acute and long-term care of the child.”
Assistant Professor of Paediatric Neurology, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Principles and Practice of Child Neurology in Infancy Courses
Mac Keith Press and the European Paediatric Neurology Society present two interactive online learning courses that support paediatric health professionals develop best clinical practice for all neurological problems in infancy.
- Enjoy 10% discount on the course if you have purchased the Principles and Practice of Child Neurology in Infancy, 2nd Edition book
- Interactive learning is aided by reflective activities and multiple-choice questions on each topic with helpful hints
- Free access to videos and six classic paediatric neurology text books
- Certificate is provided on completion
Free trial! If you’re interested in the course and would like to try before you buy, register for our free 48 hour trial.
- PART 1: PRINCIPLES OF CHILD NEUROLOGY IN INFANCY
- 1 Terms, definitions and concepts
- Colin Kennedy
- 2 Interprofessional working: user and carer involvement
- Audrone Prasauskiene and Maryze Schoneveld van der Linde
- 3 Clinical epidemiology and evidence-based medicine
- Andrew L. Lux
- 4 Promoting child development
- Audrone Prasauskiene
- 5 The Neonatal examination and neurodevelopmental assessment
- Leena Haataja, Vittorio Belmonti and Giovanni Cioni
- 6 Neurological examination beyond the neonatal period
- Colin Kennedy
- 7 Prevention, vaccination and Screening
- Jane Williams and Colin Kennedy
- 8 Cranial imaging
- Brigitte Vollmer and Harriet Joy
- 9 Neurophysiology (EEG & aEEG)
- Bernhard Schmitt and Varsine Jaladyan
- 10 Biochemical and haematological testing
- Valerie Walker and Mary Morgan
- 11 Genetic testing
- Geoffrey Woods and Catarina Olimpio
- 12 Drug treatments: drugs, vitamins and minerals
- Imti Choonara and Peter Baxter
- 13 Nonpharmacological treatment
- Ilona Autti-Rämö
- PART 2: SETTINGS IN CLINICAL PRACTICE
- 14 Birth Asphyxia and other acute encephalopathies in the newborn
- Gian Paolo Chiaffoni and Daniele Trevisanuto
- 15 Inheritited metabolic encephalopathies of infancy
- Barbara Plecko
- 16 Neontal Seizures
- Barbara Plecko
- 17 Acute encephalopathy and traumatic brain injury
- Tiina Talvik, Fenella Kirkham, Tuuli Metsvaht and Inga Talvik
- 18 Stroke
- Fenella Kirkham, Tiina Talvik, Rael Laugesaar, Tuuli Metsvaht and Inga Talvik
- 19 Acute neurological illness with fever: meningitis, encephalitis and infective space-occupying lesions
- Rachel Kneen and Charles Newton
- 20 Post-neonatal epileptic seizures
- Hans Hartmann and J. Helen Cross
- 21 Non-epileptic paroxysmal disorders in infancy
- John B.P. Stephenson and Alla Nechay
- 22 Microcephaly, including congenital infections
- Alasdair Parker, Vlatka Mejaski-Bosnjak and Richard Chin
- 23 Macrocephaly, including hydrocephalus and brain tumors
- Colin Kennedy
- 24 The floppy infant
- Helgi Hjartarson and Thomas Sejersen
- 25 Infancy sleep and behaviour
- Outi Saarenpää-Heikkilä, E. Juulia Paavonen and Kaija Puura
- 26 Early developmental impairment and neurological abnormalities at birth
- Richard W. Newton, Ilona Autti-Rämö and Audrone Prasauskiene
- 27 Cerebral palsy
- Florian Heinen and Peter Baxter
- 28 Central nervous system disorders of movement other than cerebral palsy
- Peter Baxter and Florian Heinen
- 29 Progressive loss of skills
- Meral Topcu, Dilek Yalnızoglu and Richard Newton