Children and Youth with Complex Cerebral Palsy – Chapter 1: Overview of Cerebral Palsy (free ebook)
Chapter 1 – Overview of Cerebral Palsy: Definition, Classification and Impact by Laurie J. Glader and Richard D. Stevenson from Children and Youth with Complex Cerebral Palsy: Care and Management
About the Complete Book
Children with complex cerebral palsy (typically, but not always, GMFCS levels IV and V) require skilled management and extensive expertise which can be overwhelming or intimidating for many clinical practitioners. This book explores management of the many medical comorbidities these children encounter, including orthopedic concerns, mobility and equipment needs, cognition and sensory impairment, difficult behaviors, seizures, respiratory complications and nutritional challenges, among many others. In addition, adaptable care tools will be provided both in the text and as a resource to download from this page, to guide clinicians in evaluation, preventive care and crisis management.
Importantly, the book includes contributions from parents of children with cerebral palsy and youth with cerebral palsy, providing unique and critical wisdom for family-centred care. Parents and families of children and youth with complex cerebral palsy will particularly appreciate the inclusion of chapters on adolescence, transition to adulthood, and growing up, growing well with cerebral palsy.
- The first practical guide to focus exclusively on children with more severe or complex forms of cerebral palsy
- Summary points at the end of each chapter provide at-a-glance access to key recommendations
- Downloadable Care Tools include a Health Review for Children; an Equipment, Supplies and Supports Checklist; and an ICF-Based Care: Goals and Management Form (see Further Materials)
Physicians, developmental and neurodevelopmental paediatricians, sub-specialist physicians and surgeons, therapists, dieticians, nurses, psychologists, educators, social workers, trainees across multiple disciplines, and the families of children and youth with complex cerebral palsy.
Video About the Book
Hear Prof. Peter Rosenbaum’s review of the book, in conversation with Prof. Bernard Dan, Editor-in-Chief of the Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology:
- Visit our free ebook library to download more free titles.
- Join our newsletter to keep up to date with new releases.
- Find us on Twitter.
A Practical Guide from Mac Keith Press